Sunday, July 12, 2009

Piedmont Triad Omnium Criterium: Keeping it Safe

Last year I was asked by Jim Martin, organizer of the Piedmont Triad Omnium, to manage the course marshals for the 2009 PTO Friday night criterium. My first thought was I felt honored to help such a worthy cause, but my second thought was how will I ever convince enough people to help as course marshals!

Well, six weeks before the event I knew it was time to start asking for volunteers! What a surprise…as soon as I sent the e-mail I had immediate responses…and in a week I had a list of volunteers!

As racers you all know how important these group of individuals are to a successful criterium race…well this year’s course marshals were incredible! They kept the course safe for the racers and more importantly, the many spectators who showed up for the evening’s events.

I can’t thank these volunteers enough…please share you appreciation for these individuals by thanking them the next time you see them on a ride or just out and about!

Here’s the list of course marshals, all our women team members from the Mock Orange Racing team – Julie Paisant, Katie Gill, Rip Nicholson, Sirena Lundsford and Theresa Dawson.

In addition, Monti Beasley from Piedmont Velo, Jordan Martin and Justin Martin helped out on the course.

And finally a big thanks to members of the Mock Orange Syndicate team – Bill Messenger and his daughter, Laura, Cathy Rhodes, Gary Willis and his daughter, Ginny, and Patti Patridge.

1 comment:

Rodney Simpson said...

Thanks to all those who gave of their time and effort to make the PTO a safe fun event. Rodney